Re: pg_pconnect - ?? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Chris Ruprecht
Subject Re: pg_pconnect - ??
Date
List pgsql-php
I usually have a page which connects, does some processing and
disconnects - very simple stuff. The user runs a number of queries
when she creates some invoicing, but it's always a matter of "1. load
page where to enter parameters; 2. execute the script which creates
the bill from the parameters; 3. return to step 1". Each invoice is
created individually - the user only has a few clients (big amounts
per bill, few bills).
The most traffic the user creates is when they change their rate
table, they might add 20 to 50 rates at per week. I could run that
stuff of an old 100 MHz Pentium with 16 MB RAM, if I had to and they
would probably not see and performance issues. However, some of the
bills they have process 500'000 line items at a time, this is where I
need the horsepower - but at that stage, the connection is already
made. The query runs across 4 tables and sometimes takes up to 4
minutes.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre